CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 8, 2008

College Readiness Homework

I'm involved in a program called North Eastern Iowa College Readiness. Personally I think it's lame, but it's my second year in it, and we travel to different college around Eastern Iowa one Saturday out of the month. Tomorrow we are going to Kirkwood, but I practically live on that campus. Got the scholarship and everything at the end of 8th grade but anywhoo.. College Readiness is just a program for lower-income students to get involved with the college environment.
Well our first homework assignment out of the two years that I've been in it, was to come up with a word that describes what we want our life career to be. Last month everyone went around and said what they wanted their dream job to be. My friend Cassidy wants to be a kindergarten teacher, we had CSI's, professional basketball players, photographers, etc. My dream career is to become the Secretary of Education under a Democratic administration. I also want to be a Child Advocacy Lawyer, a supporter and carrier for the Children of Promise. My mom and I are co-trainers for the mentors of this program, [if you look down at another entry I did say this lady was my mom, but she is my mentor, my best friend that I met as a messed up child. She saved me, our job is to teach mentors how to maintain a lasting mentoring relationship. Trust me, it's amazing. This program is to pair mentor's and mentee's with incarcerated parents. I want to help children with the defects of an incarcerated relative, I want to help with teachers pay, and child involvement. I pretty much want to work with children, but personally I don't like the little ones. I want to work with teenagers or pretty much five and up. I'm not big on babies. But all wrapped up I want to be some sort of political aspect within education. Or a Marine Biologist/Special Education Teacher if nothing else works with being a lawyer and all.. well anyway. We had to choose a word to describe our future career. I picked my word forever ago, but forgot about it until today, so I got out my paper and glue and put together my word. The word I chose was 'Others.' I believe that by helping children understand their parents' mistakes that they can learn off of themselves and live a normal life. I believe that children deserve the basic education K-12, and that EVERY CHILD just needs ONE person who will listen to them..

I believe every single one of you should give a hand out and become a Mentor. Every child needs only one person. The feeling you get inside is just remarkable when you can see a frown turn upside down. I guess it's more of a challenge, everyone can donate a can or two, maybe give some clothes to the Starvation Donation, but really. Wouldn't saving the life of just one child change the way you look at the world??. I think it would

Think about the words..lol

RaeAnne

0 comments: