CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 21, 2008

I need opinions

I'm having a pretty difficult time with this new relationship. Don't think I'm desperate for advice, I just want some help from other women, besides my mom, especially ones with teenage daughters and/or daughters in general.
My problem is, my guy pal thinks I am not social enough and he believes I am always studying for stupid reasons. He doesn't believe in good grades, and he sure doesn't believe in acting like an adult at 16-17 years old. I, myself, have a different view. I believe that acting more independent and responsible as a teenager will make me more prepared as an adult AND I'm social in a different way, I give speeches and presentations all the time to teachers, students, and even the 6th Judicial District of Iowa, once.
Now, my questions are.
Is it wrong to be more of an adult as a teenager and get to learn the society around oneself. Or should every teenager only play and not care about school and/or education at all?

Education is MY LIFE. I study because I enjoy it, I know and I understand it is my only way to accomplish the dreams I want to achieve. Is it wrong that I don't always go out and party with my friends? Is it wrong that I'd rather stay at home by myself and read a book instead of going to the movies with people I don't feel like hanging out with? It's not that I don't like going to the movies, or hanging out with my guy pal, once a week is fine, but he, and most teenagers at school, do this every night. I don't, is that so wrong?

Ive come to realize that I'm not like other students or teenagers, I'm very unique, outgoing, optimistic, and opinionated, I know it takes some courage for a person to admit all of that. but I know and I understand what I have to do to make myself the person I want to be. On the other hand, my guy pal thinks I work too hard. He thinks I need to chill on my classes, and he thinks I need to drink soda, GROSS.. my schooling is my life. I enjoy getting my 3.776 GPA, I enjoy being 95 out of 436 students in my GRADE, and I sure enjoy being in the top 22% in my class. Is that so wrong?

The question I need opinions on is, is it wrong for a teenage girl to be more focused on her education, instead of hanging out at the movies, the mall, and being focused on a guy? Even though I admit, I do like my guy...

Please help me out, my mom gave me amazing advice, like always, but I need other parental advice. Please gals, what would you do if your daughter was being pressured to change, when she was completely happy with the way she is?

Thank you for letting me vent a bit..
xoxoxo

5 comments:

Dana said...

It sounds to me, in reading your post, that you have answered your own question. It is very obvious that you are content with who you are, and what you want. For goodness sake, DON'T change for some "guy pal" who won't be in the picture down the road. You gain more true friends and better relationships by being true to yourself, and it's easier anyway!

With that said, you ARE only young once. Truly. So make sure the fun things happen too! I don't regret anything I DID as a teen, only the things I DIDN'T do...

ScrapMomOf2 said...

First off, thanks for stopping by my blog. Next, Dana in the comment above pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Read your post again, and you'll answer your own question. DON'T change for anyone. Be true to yourself.

Lauren said...

Rae Anne - do not compromise your nifty self for a boy. You are happy with who you are and what you want. You need friends who respect that, not tear you down, even boys.

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Hey girl...I'm 21 so I know what you're going through...my sister is 16 right now and ya know what I tell her? DON'T DATE! I dated in High School and it was so pointless. I mean, he was an amazing guy and we were together for two years, but there was a lot of heartache and drama that went along with it. Girls are more mature than guys, or at least they mature faster. Eventually you will find a guy who enjoys you for you- he will love your intellect and so on. Even if this guy is just a friend, you don't need to surround yourself with people who bring you down.

Hope this helps. :-)